Tree Specialist Grade 7 (West Springfield, MA)
LocationWest Springfield , Massachusetts
TREE SPECIALIST GRADE 7
Position performs tree removal and tree pruning on town trees using aerial lift/rope saddle in accordance with ANSI A300 standards. Operates aerial lift, chippers, stump grinders, chainsaws and other gas/diesel powered equipment. Ability to safely and effectively perform primary job functions while minimizing damage to town and private property. Reports any tree related concerns or equipment malfunctions to the Working Foreman or Tree Warden.
Examples of Duties
- Utilizes aerial lift, rope and Saddle, and ladders; removes dead, diseased, dying, broken and interfering branches, and lowers them to the ground with ropes and other rigging equipment.
- Operates aerial lift, log splitters, chippers and related medium and heavy duty forestry construction and maintenance equipment
- Trims trees for clearance of overhead utility facilities, street lights, signs, vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Assists in planting, cultivating, transplanting and the removal of trees, shrubs and growth
- Maintains and makes minor repairs to tools and other equipment
- Performs tasks normally assigned to a laborer and/or skilled laborer.
Education and Experience: Work requires a high school graduate or equivalent plus two years of training at an accredited school or on-the-job equivalent, two years experience in the operation of heavy automotive equipment or the equivalent combination of education and expertise to perform the essential functions of this position.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License Class B with the proper endorsements: air brakes required. Class 2A/1C Hoisting Engineers license preferred
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skill: Working knowledge of horticulture and arboriculture; working knowledge of the maintenance of municipal grounds; working knowledge of the operation, care and minor maintenance and adjustment of light, heavy and special motor equipment used in tree removal and pruning; working knowledge of hazards and safety precautions involved in operation of special motor equipment.
Potential applicants can go to the town website to apply. Here is the link to the posting.